Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
If you like meringue desserts, you will love this one. Crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth soft in the center and drizzled with luscious raspberries. From Cooking Light Magazine (12/2003) I adapted recipe to use fresh strawberries in the photo.
- 354.88 ml egg whites
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- 591.47 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 9.85 ml butter
- 3 (850.48 g) package frozen raspberries or 3 (850.48 g) package strawberries, in light syrup, thawed and undrained
- 354.88 ml frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with mixer at medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat for 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until well blended (about 8 minutes). Add vanilla extract. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for 5 minutes or until soft peaks form. (Do not underbeat).
- Coat the inside of a 10-inch springform pan with butter, and add meringue, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through meringue with a knife.
- Place pan in 450°F oven. Turn the oven off, and cool in closed oven for at least 24 hours.
- Drain the raspberries, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Place raspberries in a food processor, and process until smooth. Press raspberry mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl to measure 1 1/4 cups. Discard solids. Stir in the reserved raspberry liquid.
- Spoon cooled meringue into bowls. Drizzle with raspberry mixture, and top with whipped topping. (Each serving is about 1 cup meringue, 1 1/2 tablespoons raspberry mixture, and 1 1/2 tablespoons whipped topping).
Nothing but a pavlova
I made this over the weekend and it was wonderful! I love meringue so this was right up my alley. It was easy to put together and I was thankful that I have a double oven since the time in the oven is so long. I used strawberries instead of raspberries ~ sliced them up, sweetened with sugar and let them sit on the counter until they juiced up nicely. Thanks for posting this special dessert!