Recipe by katie in the UP
Recipe from Seriously Simple by D.R. Worthington. Cooking time is overnight.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
I have now used some of this and found that the lemons, after packing tichtly in the mason jar, were not as juicy as they should have been. I think by packing them so tightly in the jar a lot of the juice was lost. Will see if any of the others are different when I use them next time.
Directions See How It's Made
- Juice 6 of the lemons and set the juice aside.
- Partially quarter each of the remaining lemons so they stay together at the stem end.
- Pack about 2 t salt into the center of each lemon, re-form the lemons and place in a large zip-lock plastic bag.
- Cover the lemons halfway with salt. Add the reserved juice.
- Pack the lemons tightly in the bag, squeeze out any air and close the bag.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove the lemons from the freezer, defrost and use for cooking.
- Pack any unused lemons tightly into a mason jar, adding lemon juice and enough salt to cover the lemons.
- Refrigerate until using. (She says they keep for 6 months, most recipes say 1 year).
- Rinse off the salt and proceed with cooking.