Recipe by June Lerch
This is my most asked for recipe and it will impress your family and friends too. It is a very easy salad for Picnic's, Potlucks or BBQ dinners. It makes an easy One Dish Meal with Crusty rolls and fresh fruits also.
- 2 cups coarsley shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups coarsley shredded young spinach leaves
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups cooked small macaroni noodles, shells or 2 1⁄2-3 cups elbow macaroni, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 5 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup cooked shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup Italian salad dressing (I prefer Kraft Zesty Italian, or your own)
- chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the day before serving.
- Starting with lettuce, layer the first three ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Scatter celery, green pepper and onions over macaroni layer.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Spread evenly over salad.
- Break frozen peas apart and sprinkle over salad.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine tuna, shrimp and Italian dressing in a separate bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, arrange tuna and shrimp mixture in center of salad.
- Garnish along edge of salad with tomato wedges or cherry tomato halves.
- Toss lightly just before serving.