Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. I've been making it for years, and can't remember where I got it. Since all the work is done the night before except for a mere sprinkling of nuts, well, that makes it even better! Great with maple syrup. Time does not including chilling time.
- Beat eggs with a wire whisk.
- Beat in orange juice, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Cut french bread diagonally into 1 inch slices.
- Place slices into a 9x13 dish (there is often enough bread and batter left to use an additional small dish).
- Pour 1/2 the egg mixture over the bread.
- Turn the bread and coat with the remaining egg mixture.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 375.
- Pour melted butter into a jellyroll pan.
- Arrange bread in a single layer.
- Top with nuts.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until french toast is brown and puffy.
- Serves about 6.
I cut my bread into 1 inch thick slices, then halved them. It worked very well and this dish was pleasing to everyone who I served it to.