Recipe by KittyKitty
I love French toast, But I never could get it right. the one day, I was going through my grandmothers Southern Living cookbook, and found this one, it's really good. I have no idea why, but I never considered that French bread would be what you would use for French toast, duh...
- 8 slices French bread, 3/4 thick
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divded
- powdered sugar
- orange sauce
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, orange juice, vanilla, and salt; beat well. Pour mixture over bread slices; turn slices over and coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt i tablespoon butter in a large skillet; remove 4 slices of bread from the dish and saute in the butter 4 minutes each side or until browned. Repeat this with remaining butter and bread slice. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve immediately with Orange Sauce.
- Orange Sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened ( 5 minutes), stir frequently. 1 1/4 cups.