1/3 Photos of Overnight Mushroom Souffle
1 hr 30 mins
A friend got this recipe from a kosher cookbook and I then tried to cut the tons of fat a little. I made the souffle for a brunch today and it was a hit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 7 -9 tablespoons light butter or 7 -9 tablespoons butter
- 14 slices challah (egg bread)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Saute mushrooms slightly in 1-2 tablespoons butter.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Saute celery, onion, and green pepper lightly in 1-2 tablespoons butter.
- 4While cooking vegetables, butter 6 slices of bread (about 1/2 tablespoon butter per slice) and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 5Spread bread in 9 x 13 pan.
- 6Combine sauteed vegetables with mushrooms, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper.
- 7Spread mixture over bread.
- 8Cube 4 unbuttered bread slices and sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- 9Beat eggs and milk together and pour over second layer of bread.
- 10Cover and chill overnight.
- 11The next day spread soup over chilled mixture.
- 12Butter last 4 slices of bread, cube, and sprinkle over soup.
- 13Sprinkle cheese over last layer of bread.
- 14Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- 15You may want to cover for part of baking time depending on how brown you like your cheese- I covered the dish at about the halfway point.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnight Mushroom Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.5
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 93.4 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat cream of mushroom soup