Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead this needs to be refrigerated for 8-24 hours before baking. if desired you can omit the cinnamon/sugar mixture for the top but don't omit the nuts! Do not use freshly baked bread for this.
Top Review by Galley Wench
Great flavor! I cut the recipe to 1/3 for the two of us and used up some odd pieces of sourdough bread from the freezer. Only change I made was to use brown sugar for the topping! Nice getting up this morning and just having to pop in the oven! Thank Carol!
- 20 -25 slices bread (about 1-inch thick, bread must be stale but not hard)
- softened butter
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade (room temperature)
- 2 3⁄4 cups full-fat milk
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts (can use more) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (can use more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spread softened butter lightly over each slice of bread.
- Arrange 12 bread slices buttered side down overlapping slightly in the baking dish.
- Spread the room temperature marmalade over the bread slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices buttered side down.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk with sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and eggs until well combined then pour over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 houres.
- When ready to bake set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small cup or bowl mix together the 1-2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon and nuts, then sprinkle on top of the bread.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the casserole.