Recipe by breezermom
This recipe reminds me of the old "dinner on the ground" picnics from church during my childhood! It is a fruit version of the ever popular 7-Layer Salad. It should be made at least 8 hours ahead of time. It features oranges, apples and grapes atop a bed of shredded lettuce. Prep time and cooking time does not include the 8 hour chilling time! From Jack Reynolds in the Master Gardner Cookbook
Top Review by Debbwl
Your description is spot on as this is perfect for picnic and pot lucks. The cheddar cheese and sour cream make a tasty topping for this fruit salad. This salad is a wonderful change of pace. Made as written. Thanks for the post.
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded, well-drained and dry
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 golden delicious apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups green seedless grapes
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the shredded lettuce in a deep 2-quart glass serving bowl.
- Peel and section the oranges over a bowl, reserving the juice. Combine apple slices and orange juice; toss to coat. Layer apple slices over the lettuce; top with the orange sections and grapes.
- Combine mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl; stir well. Spread mayonnaise mixture over salad, sealing to the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.