Recipe by Debber
Here's a HIGH-heat alternative--that kills those pesky salmonella bugs--leaving behind nothing but a tasty, moist bird. Original recipe comes from *Southern-Style Christmas* by Lucinda Secrest McDowell. Cooking time includes baking one hour plus overnight resting.
Top Review by Bluemonkey
We do Turducken in a similar fashion...yeah , I know, a Canadian making Turducken? YUP! You must remember to check the temperature of the turkey with an accurate reading meat thermometer though to ensure you've reached the bacteria killing temperature needed . This method works a treat!
Directions See How It's Made
- About an hour before you go to bed, preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Wash turkey thoroughly and empty the neck and carcass cavities.
- Do NOT stuff the bird (that's not negotiable).
- Rub outside of turkey with olive oil.
- Place bird in roaster and pour water over.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake at 500 for one hour.
- DO NOT TAKE LID OFF AT ANY TIME!
- After one hour, turn down oven to its lowest setting (without actually turning it off).
- Leave bird in oven, lid on and go to bed.
- Wake up to a bird that is tender, juicy, brown and ready.