24 hrs 20 mins
Ann Marie F's Note:
I don't remember where I originally got this recipe, but I've made it many times beginning mid-1960's. For months I've been searching for the recipe to post it. Then today it showed up in my e-mail from a daily recipe site. I've added to the ingredients and directions. The original recipe called for one can of cherries, so that's what I listed in the ingredients, but I prefer two cans of cherries. Look for Royal Ann or Royal Cherries. If you sub a different kind of cherries or other fruit I have no idea how it will turn out. The original recipe didn't call for bananas. I always use 2 or 3 bananas. Leave out them out if you don't like them. Same for the nuts. Be SURE to make this a minimum of 12 hours before serving - 24 hours is better. The first time I made it was for a family gathering. I tasted it right away - it was terrible. The next day it was great. What a difference a day makes! As you can tell from the ingredients, this is sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice (see below)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 dash salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) can pitted royal anne or queen anne sweet cherries, drained (I prefer two cans)
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans pineapple chunks in juice, drained (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, reserved from the pineapple
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow (or one bag)
- 1 sliced banana, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped, depending on whether you like the crunch of nuts in your fruit salad (mixed in or sprinkled on top) (optional)
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, to taste, for garnish, pretty sprinkled over the top since this is a very white-looking dish (optional)
- 1Prepare cooked Dressing:.
- 2Heat first 6 ingredients just to boiling in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 3Let it cool while you beat the whipping cream.
- 4Beat whipping cream in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until it's stiff.
- 5Fold a spoonful of the cooled egg mixture into into the whipped cream.
- 6Fold the rest of the cooled egg mixture into the whipped cream.
- 7If you add the hot egg mixture all at once into the whipped cream, it will curdle; trust me on this.
- 8Add fruit& nuts to the dressing.
- 9Refrigerate at least 12 hours to blend flavors.
- 10Garnish with Maraschino cherries.
- 11Garnish with nuts if you choose to use the nuts as a garnish rather than an ingredient, or both as I do.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnight Fruit Salad
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.7
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 70.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 39.5 g
- Protein 3.9 g