Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Had this at a friend's and decided to scale down the sugar factor. Great for those overnight guests. We also like it with raspberry topping, using fresh or frozen raspberries and brandy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 10 slices multigrain bread (sliced 1 inch thick)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peaches, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup peach brandy or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- Melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Pour into a 13x9 dish, place bread slices on top of melted mixture.
- Mix remaining french toast ingredients and pour over bread slices.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before cooking, allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in a 350 oven.
- Serve with Peach Topping.
- Combine ingredients for peach topping in saucepan.
- Heat on medium until heated through.
I made this using fresh diced pears instead of peaches and it was really easy to do and tasted wonderful. I used up a mix of multigrain and wholemeal bread with great success.
This was easy to make. I made a half recipe - it halved beautifully. We really liked the 'caramel' on the bottom. I also sprinkled some cinnamon on top. Didn't have peaches, but I had some apples, so I made an apple-rum-butter topping for it. I think I will make it with white bread next time. For our taste, that would put it in a 5-star category. Thanks for the nice recipe TLu.