Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very easy! It just takes minutes to make the night before and then just bake it in the morning. I usually make a small 8" x 8" casserole, using half the ingredients, except a little more bread (5 slices) and a little less cream cheese (6-7 oz.). NOTE: optional nuts have been added.
- Layer half of the bread cubes in a greased 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Scatter the cream cheese cubes over the bread, then add the other half of the bread cubes on top.
- Combine egges, milk, and syrup. Pour over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bring to room temperature, and sprinkle the nuts over the top of the casserole, lightly pressing them in with a spatula.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes in a 350 oven.
- Serve with more maple syrup, if desired.
I think this could be good with some adjustments as mentioned by others. We too found this to be bland. I cut the recipe in half and we found after 40 mins it was still a little under cooked even though it sat out for 1 1/2 hrs. before cooking. On 1/3 of the casserole I added cinnamon, 1/3 was left as given and the other 1/3 I added apricot preserves. The cinnamon section was the best, but still needed more cinnamon and something more I'm not sure what. I actually think maybe the cream cheese needs to be blended with a little sugar and vanilla, but then the recipe would be a little more time consuming. Has anyone tried strawberry cream cheese?
I don't want to do stars since I made a lot of changes, but it didn't really work for me. I halved it like so many suggested, but 6 eggs was too many because after 40min it was very brown on top but still kinda soggy-gross. I also kept 1/3 cup syrup and ADDED cinnamon and vanilla but still found this very bland!
Well recieved. I used 8- 10 slices of bread( too much!- it rises reallly high, which I didn't expect- so I just kept adding past the six slice mark...), 8 eggs( too much), 6 oz of cream cheese ( about right for me). So this recipe was sort of halved by me, and I will do it differently next time, but still really good. Cinnamon is a must. I also needed to bake it for almost an hour in an 8 in square pan in the toaster oven.