Recipe by Recipe Reader
Very easy! It just takes minutes to make the night before and then just bake it in the morning. I usually make a small 8" x 8" casserole, using half the ingredients, except a little more bread (5 slices) and a little less cream cheese (6-7 oz.). NOTE: optional nuts have been added.
Top Review by Starweaver
I think this could be good with some adjustments as mentioned by others. We too found this to be bland. I cut the recipe in half and we found after 40 mins it was still a little under cooked even though it sat out for 1 1/2 hrs. before cooking. On 1/3 of the casserole I added cinnamon, 1/3 was left as given and the other 1/3 I added apricot preserves. The cinnamon section was the best, but still needed more cinnamon and something more I'm not sure what. I actually think maybe the cream cheese needs to be blended with a little sugar and vanilla, but then the recipe would be a little more time consuming. Has anyone tried strawberry cream cheese?
- 8 slices bread, cubed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer half of the bread cubes in a greased 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Scatter the cream cheese cubes over the bread, then add the other half of the bread cubes on top.
- Combine egges, milk, and syrup. Pour over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bring to room temperature, and sprinkle the nuts over the top of the casserole, lightly pressing them in with a spatula.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes in a 350 oven.
- Serve with more maple syrup, if desired.