Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great make-ahead breakfast casserole.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 12 slices white bread
- 1 cup brown sugar (*You may wish to reduce the amount of sugar used to 2/3 cup.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 -6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Melt margarine in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Put 6 slices of bread in bottom of pan.
- In a bowl mix 1 cup brown sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of this sugar mixture over bread.
- Add another layer of 6 slices of bread.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk until well blended.
- Pour over bread layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake covered at 350F 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking 15 minutes or until set and browned.
Leta, this is a FABULOUS make-ahead breakfast dish! So easy and so tasty. I had guests over for breakfast and I served this dish along with my breakfast casserole and fresh fruit. What an easy way to serve a group of people. I had to make copies of your French Toast Casserole for everyone!!! This is surely a dish I will make over and over again. I also made a hard copy of it and it is now in my "keeper" notebook. I'm so glad I found this. Thanks for sharing. :-)rn
Five stars for a delicious breakfast dish that is easy to prepare ahead (which I love). This is a great make ahead dish that turned out moist,sweet, cinnamony and everyone raved over it! I used the thick texas toast bread and increased the eggs by one. It is soooo good.
My family ate the whole dish! This was a huge success. The only thing I might do different is reduce the amount of sugar. I will be making this again soon.