Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Located this recipe searching for cast iron recipes years ago. Excellent recipe!
- 1 baguette, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- warm maple syrup, for serving
- Place the baguette slices in a 9x13 inch pan. In a medium bowl whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over the bread slices,, turning the slices to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (If your time is limited, 1 hour ahead works just fine.).
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Melt 2 T butter in a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet or a cast iron griddle over medium heat. Add 1 T vegetable oil. Just after the butter foams, add 6 slices of the bread and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes longer. After the second side is golden brown transfer to a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, adding more butter and oil to the skillet as needed for cooking. Serve on warm plates with warm maple syrup.