Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Gold Medal Flour Recipe. If you don't want to wait overnight to bake; adjust time. See note below.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup eggnog
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon eggnog
- Grease bottom only of rectangular pan, 13x9x2inches, with shortening.
- Make streusel topping; set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed.
- Beat in eggnog, sour cream, rum extract and eggs until blended.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Spread in pan.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.
- Cover and refrigerate atleast 8 hours.
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Uncover; bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes.
- Make eggnog glaze; drizzle over coffee cake.
- For serving, cut into 5 rows by 3 rows.
- Note**To cook immediately reduce bake time to 30-35 minutes.
Great flavor. Followed directions for baking right away. Came out of the oven around midnight and enjoyed a bit warm, let cool and covered. By morning it was quite dense, rather tough. Didn't overmix the batter. Used Horizon lowfat organic eggnog and 7 oz. of 2% Fage Greek yogurt instead of sour cream cause that's all I had it the fridge. Maybe these lower fat products affected the final outcome? Or maybe this is one of those things that is best eaten right away? Thanks for sharing the recipe!
We loved this. As it is only the four of us this year for the first time I wanted something easy and still tasty. I had just picked up my special ordered soy eggnog (because I heard it was good and relatively healthy) and thought this sounded excellent. I used the soy nog, whole wheat pastry flour, and fat free sour cream. (Just because those are the ingredients I have in my house.) This had a lovely subtle flavor (the soy nog is a little less robust in taste then traditional nog) that we really enjoyed. I baked it in 2 8x8 pans (because my bigger one was being used for a breakfast casserole) and that worked great. Next time I may do that and only glaze one and freeze the second one. This did not taste as oily as a lot of coffee cakes taste to me. Great flavor and texture. Thanks!