I make this at the holidays and love the fact that it can be made ahead of time and frozen, then just pulled out and baked when needed.
- Grease two 15x10 inch baking pans.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, half-and-half, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and rum extract.
- Beat until well blended Arrange bread slices in greased baking pans.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread in the pans.
- Lift and move bread slices until all egg mixture is absorbed.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight or freeze up to 1 week.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Remove pans from refrigerator or freezer (do not thaw).
- Remove foil.
- Bake one pan at a time for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- NOTE: You can bake both pans at the same time, but be sure to switch the pans in the over halfway through the baking time.
This was great! I made it up last night and popped it in the oven this morning. It took me 10 more minutes to bake and I used all vanilla. We didn't miss the rum extract at all and it had the eggnog flavor. :) Thanks for the great recipe, Kellie!
What a way to start the day. Perfect for overnight guests.