Recipe by Kellie in SLO
I make this at the holidays and love the fact that it can be made ahead of time and frozen, then just pulled out and baked when needed.
Top Review by SweetsLady
This was great! I made it up last night and popped it in the oven this morning. It took me 10 more minutes to bake and I used all vanilla. We didn't miss the rum extract at all and it had the eggnog flavor. :) Thanks for the great recipe, Kellie!
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half or 3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum extract
- 24 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease two 15x10 inch baking pans.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, half-and-half, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and rum extract.
- Beat until well blended Arrange bread slices in greased baking pans.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread in the pans.
- Lift and move bread slices until all egg mixture is absorbed.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight or freeze up to 1 week.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Remove pans from refrigerator or freezer (do not thaw).
- Remove foil.
- Bake one pan at a time for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- NOTE: You can bake both pans at the same time, but be sure to switch the pans in the over halfway through the baking time.