Another do ahead, enjoy your family & guests recipe. Serve this with some good bacon fried crisp or sausages. Have it as part of your Christmas Brunch. Whenever I'm sure they will enjoy it.
- Beat together eggs, eggnog, rum, sugar,nutmeg, cinnamon,salt& vanilla.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread in this mixture and place them side by side in a greased oven proof pyrex dish Pour any remaining mixture over the slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (If you wish you can freeze the dish and put in fridge to defrost the evening before you wish to serve it).
- Bake in 450f on bottom rack for 20-25 minutes (watch the bottom doesn't get too brown).
- Place on rack to cool slightly& dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with Canadian Maple syrup and the melted butter.
Mmmm, French toast and egg nog: two great tastes that taste great together. Baking is easier than frying and you use less fat, which helps make up for the fat that there is egg nog in the mix. Really great. Easy. It was a perfect Christmas breakfast. Used a jelly roll pan and the loaf soaked up all the sauce overnight.
This is a very delicious dish. I made a similar dish like this- it was very good. Try this-instead of syrup, make hot cranberry sauce.
This was a fantastic treat. I have actually made it twice. The first time I used Texas toast, I myself didn't care for it, everyone else loved it. The second time I used French Bread and it was SUPERB!! Will make often in the future.