Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From The 1200-Calorie-a-Day cookbook; putting it here fro safe keeping.
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb bulk turkey sausage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 lb French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) carton egg substitute
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash black pepper
- paprika (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray at medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add sausage, fennel, oregano.
- Cook until brown, then transfer to paper towel and set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spay and line the bottom with cubed bread.
- Sprinkle meat over bread.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and pour over sausage.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake covered casserole for 55 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
- Cut into quarters and serve.