Recipe by Charlotte J
Our Youth Group from church would serve this for breakfast after the Sunrise Service Easter morning.
Top Review by nowskinny
This was great and so easy to make the night before a Sunday brunch. Mine only needed 45 minutes of cooking and was starting to get crispy so keep checking around 35 minutes! To make it lighter I used Reduced Fat Sausage. You could probably try light cheese and increase the number of egg whites in substitution for eggs. I made coffe cake #16812 with it and pretty much everything was done ahead of time and was sooo good!
- 12 slices bread, crust removed
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded,reserve 1 cup
- 1 lb sausage, bacon or 1 lb ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 6 slices of bread on bottom of a well-greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Brown sausage and drain off grease.
- Layer bread with cheese then your choice of meat.
- Cube last 6 pieces of bread and place on top.
- Beat eggs; mix in milk and seasonings and pour over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and return to oven for the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.