Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 min
This was taken from my dad's old Betty Crocker recipe card library.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water (105-115 degrees)
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt.
- Cut in 1 cup butter until mixture looks like meal.
- Mix in yeast, egg yolks and milk until dough is smooth.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Grease 2 loaf pans (9x5x3").
- Turn half of dough into well floured board.
- Roll into rectangle, 13x8".
- Brush with melted butter.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle half of mixture over dough.
- Roll up, beginning at narrow side.
- Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal.
- Place seam side down in pan.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm place (85°F) for 2 hours. (Dough will not double)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for approx 1 hour.
- If necessary, cover loaves during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove from pans and drizzle with Glaze, cool before slicing.
- Mix ingredients until smooth.
Thank you so much for having this recipe! I lost this card from my file. It's a favorite cinnamon bread recipe at our house for over 34 years! I will not lose it again! Fantastic bread recipe!