Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
A very delicious casserole, prepared a day ahead, and baked the following day. Tip; keep frozen, cooked and chopped chicken or turkey in the freezer ready to use in recipes.
- 1 (120 g) package chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken or 2 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Lightly grease or spray a 9" x 9" baking pan, or any size baking pan large enough to hold the mixture.
- Prepare the stuffing mix with hot water and butter.
- Place 1/2 of the stuffing mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, onion, celery, mayo and pepper to taste; place on top of the stuffing mix in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix eggs and milk; pour over the chicken mixture.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 of the stuffing mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day/evening,top with the mushroom soup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
We really enjoyed this. I will increase the celery and onion to about a cup each but finely chopped. Your family will love it.
This was very good. It has a Thanksgiving flavor thing going,even when using chicken. Great use of leftover turkey and stuffing during the holidays.
This is a great make ahead recipe. It's total comfort food...my favorite. The only change I made was I used cornbread stuffing. Thanks once again, Kit...you haven't failed me yet!