Prep 8 hrs
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful make ahead breakfast or brunch dish! A unique twist on "French Toast!"
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar, butter and corn syrup in heavy small saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium-low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour into a a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Tilt dish to coat bottom evenl-cool.
- Arrange 6 bread slices in singlelayer top caramel, trimming bread to fit.
- Cover with remaining bread slices, trimming to fit.
- Whisk milk, eggs,vanilla and salt in bowl to blend.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake strata uncovered until bread is puffed and lightly golden, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 portions.
- Using a spatula, invert each portion onto plate so that caramel side faces up.
I enjoyed this. It was not overly sweet at all. I halved the recipe and used 1/2 a round loaf of italian bread. I left the crust on and it wasn't a problem. I used 4 slices and cut them in half. They fit perfectly in an 8X8 pan. The rest of the bread was then cubed and put on top of the slices. Then I poured the egg mixture over it. Oh, I also 1/2 heavy cream and skim milk. Cooking time was perfect. Since I cubed the bread, the top layer got a little "toasty" and had the more creaming bottom layer. I enjoyed the combo. Yummy.
This MAY make 6 servings, but if you have 6 eaters, better plan on making TWO !! Following the recipe as written is (almost!) guaranteed to bring Lots of smiles to your breakfast table ! We found this in our Family Reunion Cookbook several years ago, so have no idea of origin. It is GOOD ! Thanks for posting, Yooper
So, it's Saturday night at 8 pm the night before Father's Day. My kids (4 & 6) tell me that they want cinnamon rolls for breakfast the next morning for their dad. Well....not something I have enough time to make. So their second choice is coffee cake. I had made an excellent one that morning so I ask if that's the one they want. "We'd rather have ooey gooey, like a cinnamon roll. But it's your choice mom." So after they went to bed I did a search and found this one. It was super easy to put together. I used white whole wheat (soft like white but with fiber) and fat free vanilla soy milk, leaving out the vanilla. My bread must have been small, though, because it took me 4 extra pieces. No matter, because this was SO GOOD. Ooey gooey and rich. Dad had 3 pieces (and if you cut it into the number of pieces recommended those pieces are HUGE) and we all enjoyed it. My 6 year old was a bit horrified when he realized it contained lots of eggs (something he doesn't enjoy), but he loved it anyway! Thanks for a great one!