Recipe by yooper
A wonderful make ahead breakfast or brunch dish! A unique twist on "French Toast!"
Top Review by ZaarAddict
I enjoyed this. It was not overly sweet at all. I halved the recipe and used 1/2 a round loaf of italian bread. I left the crust on and it wasn't a problem. I used 4 slices and cut them in half. They fit perfectly in an 8X8 pan. The rest of the bread was then cubed and put on top of the slices. Then I poured the egg mixture over it. Oh, I also 1/2 heavy cream and skim milk. Cooking time was perfect. Since I cubed the bread, the top layer got a little "toasty" and had the more creaming bottom layer. I enjoyed the combo. Yummy.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, butter and corn syrup in heavy small saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium-low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour into a a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Tilt dish to coat bottom evenl-cool.
- Arrange 6 bread slices in singlelayer top caramel, trimming bread to fit.
- Cover with remaining bread slices, trimming to fit.
- Whisk milk, eggs,vanilla and salt in bowl to blend.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake strata uncovered until bread is puffed and lightly golden, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 portions.
- Using a spatula, invert each portion onto plate so that caramel side faces up.