Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have had this recipe so long, I don't even remember where I got it. Great for brunches as it serves up to 10 people easily. The recipe asks for white or whole wheat bread but I usually use 10 - 12 slices of french bread sliced 1" thick, and also sprinkle some ground nutmeg and cinnamon sugar on the top before baking.
- In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into 9x13 dish that has been greased or sprayed.
- Top with half of the bread slices.
- combine eggs, milk , vanilla, sugar and cinnamon.
- sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and nutmeg on bread slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices and pour the milk mixture over all.
- Gently press down with a spatula to make sure the bread absorbs everything - turn bread slices once.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and nutmeg on top.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, covered, at 350F for 45 minutes and then uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes until the center looks set and no longer jiggles when shaken.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly.
- Cut into squares, scoop caramel sauce from the bottom of the baking dish over the squares and serve.