1/3 Photos of Overnight Cake 1964
1 hr 10 mins
This is an easy recipe, similar to an Angel Food Cake, but I find the cake is not as sweet and a moister texture. It is like eating an angel food cake combined with a scratch white cake. Its nice with a cup of tea, a glass of cold milk, or with fruit and sauce. Give it a try. I always use a two part tube pan when making this cake. It is easier to remove from the pan. Save your egg yolks and make Butter Cake 1957 which is another nice cake. I have had this recipe for over 42 years, and my friend had it before that in her family, so it is an oldie.
My Private Note
tube ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Early in the day or last thing at night, sift the sugar flour and salt together well.
- 2Add the boiling water and stir until well blended.
- 3Cover and leave until cold a 8 hours or overnight.
- 4Later that day or next day,.
- 5When you are ready to make your cake, preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- 6In a large bowl,( wiped down with vinegar just to make sure there are no oils) add the room temperature egg whites and beat until foamy.
- 7Add the pinch of salt and the tartar, beat until stiff peaks but not dry.
- 8While whites are beating, to the cold batter, add the two teaspoons baking powder, the almond and vanilla extracts, and stir well.
- 9Once the whites are ready, fold in a little of it to lighten into the batter.
- 10Fold in all the whites now into batter, trying to fold in well, and not deflate.
- 11Place into a ungreased angel food tube pan.
- 12Place into preheated 250 degrees oven and bake for 15 minutes on the medium centre rack.
- 13After 15 minutes increase heat without opening door to 300 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes.
- 14After the 20 minutes increase heat to 350 degrees, without opening the door, and finish baking for 15 minutes.
- 15Test cake to see if its completely cooked with a long skewer.
- 16If done remove, if not reduce the heat to 325 and continue until tester shows done. I have never had to leave in any longer but all ovens are different. Also please use a timer for each of the oven temperatures when increasing.
- 17When done, remove to wire rack.
- 18Turn upside down until cool, and then run knife around edges and release cake.
- 19I do have to run the knife around all edges then remove the bottom part of the pan and then again under the bottom.
- 20I always use a two piece tube pan for this recipe.
- 21The almond and vanilla can be as original recipe one teaspoon each or more as I have increased . The combination of both is a must in the recipe.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnight Cake 1964
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 33.6 g
- Protein 4.3 g