Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an easy recipe, similar to an Angel Food Cake, but I find the cake is not as sweet and a moister texture. It is like eating an angel food cake combined with a scratch white cake. Its nice with a cup of tea, a glass of cold milk, or with fruit and sauce. Give it a try. I always use a two part tube pan when making this cake. It is easier to remove from the pan. Save your egg yolks and make Butter Cake 1957 which is another nice cake. I have had this recipe for over 42 years, and my friend had it before that in her family, so it is an oldie.
- Early in the day or last thing at night, sift the sugar flour and salt together well.
- Add the boiling water and stir until well blended.
- Cover and leave until cold a 8 hours or overnight.
- Later that day or next day,.
- When you are ready to make your cake, preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl,( wiped down with vinegar just to make sure there are no oils) add the room temperature egg whites and beat until foamy.
- Add the pinch of salt and the tartar, beat until stiff peaks but not dry.
- While whites are beating, to the cold batter, add the two teaspoons baking powder, the almond and vanilla extracts, and stir well.
- Once the whites are ready, fold in a little of it to lighten into the batter.
- Fold in all the whites now into batter, trying to fold in well, and not deflate.
- Place into a ungreased angel food tube pan.
- Place into preheated 250 degrees oven and bake for 15 minutes on the medium centre rack.
- After 15 minutes increase heat without opening door to 300 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes increase heat to 350 degrees, without opening the door, and finish baking for 15 minutes.
- Test cake to see if its completely cooked with a long skewer.
- If done remove, if not reduce the heat to 325 and continue until tester shows done. I have never had to leave in any longer but all ovens are different. Also please use a timer for each of the oven temperatures when increasing.
- When done, remove to wire rack.
- Turn upside down until cool, and then run knife around edges and release cake.
- I do have to run the knife around all edges then remove the bottom part of the pan and then again under the bottom.
- I always use a two piece tube pan for this recipe.
- The almond and vanilla can be as original recipe one teaspoon each or more as I have increased . The combination of both is a must in the recipe.