Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up eating these. These are great when you have company coming for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup melted lard
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 8 -10 cups flour
- At 5 pm mix 1 cup water and 1t sugar sprinkle on yeast and sit until bubbly.
- Mix everything else in a large bowl, beating in flour a bit at a time.
- Knead till smooth and elastic.
- Oil top of dough and cover with tea towel to rise.
- At 7 pm punch down.
- At 9 pm pan and cover with a cloth. Let rise overnight.
- Bake at 350°F until light brown.
- Not sure about the yield as I never paid attention.
I was really curious about these. I followed the recipe in all respects, and found, this morning at 5:00, I had a lot (very many!) lovely looking rolls to bake. Because my oven is small, it took me until after 7:00 to bake them all. So this works, and very well. My only problem with these is the flavor, which doesn't work for me. I am sure that if I had substituted butter or oil, I would be very happy with the results. The buns are light and fluffy, with a beautiful texture. Sorry, I don't feel I can give stars.