Recipe by Rhonda Toothaker
I love this recipe because it is really easy to fix the night before when you are having company the next morning or maybe taking it to work or something. This recipe came from the Telephone Pioneers Cookbook "Calling all Cooks."
Top Review by torimooney
I love anything that can be made before company arrives so this fit the bill.. i made some changes. i used 3/4 of a loaf of cubed and untoasted crusty olive oil and rosemary bread i decreased the sausage to 3/4 lb of broken up breakfast sausage and added a diced red pepper and 10 green onions, chopped, to the pan after I drained off most of the sausage fat but before the sausage was completely cooked. I completed the cooking of the sausagewith the veg for a few minutes. i increased the eggs to 10 eggs and the milk to 3 cups . my casserole pan was a bit larger than what the recipe called for. it was a success. i had 5 adults eating and not a leftover. will make it again and again. easy tasty and a bit hit.
- 6 slices bread, dried or toasted and cubed
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle bread cubes into greased 7X12 inch baking dish.
- Cook sausage and sprinkle along with cheese over the bread cubes.
- Beat eggs in mixer bowl.
- Add milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Pour over layers.
- Chill, covered overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Yield: 8 servings.