Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
A very easy, great-tasting casserole for your family or breakfast guests. I suggest serving it with maple syrup and fresh fruit and/or sausage for a complete meal. Plan ahead- this needs to sit overnight. Adapted from the One Armed Chef cookbook.
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1-inch thick (probably wont need the whole loaf)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or stick margarine)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer in the dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add in the milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 3/4 cup of the brown sugar. Stir well to mix.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread. Cover and let sit 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar, stirring well.
- Top the egg mixture with the pecans and blueberries, then drizzle on the butter sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes until set and golden brown on top.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.
Fabulous recipe in taste & soo easy to prepare. I used frozen BB cuz they were cheaper. I added cinnamon to the egg mixture as did other reviwers. Left out the nuts cus I didn't have any. I Cooked it for about 40 minutes, but middle peices could've been a little more done. The smell was devine while baking, when I removed it from the oven the bread was so puffy, it was beautiful. We both enjoyed this dish & it will be repeated in our home. Thanks for posting.
Delicious. I used a French baguette because I couldn't find French bread. The slices were much smaller so I fit about 25 small slices in the 9x13 pan. Next time I'll try to find French bread, but the baguette worked fine. I added about 1/3 tsp of cinnamon to the egg mixture. I left out the pecans. I only let my bread sit for 6 hours and I turned the bread slices over after 3 hours so that both sides of the bread could soak in the egg mixture. I used frozen blueberries because they were cheaper than fresh blueberries and they worked fine so I'll use frozen next time too. I'll definitely make this again sometime. Thanks for sharing!
I made this for Christmas morning. Really loved it. I like the addition of the blueberries and pecans. I will definitely make this again! Super easy. Thank you so much.