Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A make ahead recipe my mother gave me from an old Taste of Home magazine-1995. Notice that you refrigerate the batter, then let it get to room temperature in 30 minutes before baking. If you have celiac disease, zori's review might be helpful to you-- she wrote" dr Schar's gluten-free cake flour + 2tbsp potato starch (it makes gf flour stronger) and corn oil in stead of butter."
- In a bowl, beat egg, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium sized bowl.
- Alternate adding egg mixture and then the milk to flour mixture; beating well after each addition.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of remaining sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, remove from refrigerator and put on counter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
GREAT! I made this the night before for this morning's mother's day breakfast. A hit with all in the family. My little ones each ate 2 pieces! Will definitely store this to make again in the future. I followed the directions exactly and only baked for 25 minutes and it was perfectly done. Thank you for posting this!
Amazing cake!!! I've used dr Schar's gluten-free cake flour + 2tbsp potato starch (it makes gf flour stronger) and corn oil in stead of butter. I've also substitute the blueberries with chopped apple rolled very well into ground cinnamon which gave a very beautiful look to the cake once sliced. This is one of the best cakes I've ever ate after beeng diagnosed with celiac desseas. I thought I'll never have a tasty gluten-free breackfast again until I decided to try your cake! Thank you so much for posting the recipe!
Very good. I've never used a recipe that called for chemical leavening and then leaving it overnight. The resulit was interesting. The "batter" was more like dough. It did rise in the refrigerator, but not much in oven. The result is enjoyable. Keep an eye on it in the oven, though. Mine was golden brown after 27 minutes.