Recipe by BlueHyacinth
I found this recipe on a card at Wal-Mart in their produce department. This is fabulous, the flavor and texture is so comforting and there is definately something about banana's and maple syrup. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am. I'm actually going to make this for Christmas breakfast this year.
Top Review by JoyceJoann
I was excited about it, but it ended up kind of bland. It needs a lot more flavor- I ended up smothering it in syrup. Also, as other reviewers mentioned, the cream cheese stays in lumps.
- 1 (16 ounce) French bread or 1 (16 ounce) challah, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups sliced bananas (about 3)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange half of bread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9" pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with cream cheese and bananas; top with remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, butter and maple syrup; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.