Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe a long time ago and haven't tried it yet.
Make and share this Over the Top Smothered Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (found on condiments aisle)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 -8 slices provolone cheese (use more or less to your liking)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Marinate meat in covered bowl or plastic bag for at least 2 hours.
- While chicken is marinating, slice onions and mushrooms and cook your bacon.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter and hickory smoke flavor for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are transparent but not brown and mushrooms are tender.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and grill for about 10 minutes.
- Do not overcook chicken! While grilling, preheat oven on broil.
- After chicken is done, remove from grill and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Cover each breast with a strip of bacon, then provolone cheese, then some sauteed onions and mushrooms.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
These were good. I was a little worried that the liquid smoke would be overpowering, but it wasn't. It was a nice combination of tastes and textures. Reminded me somewhat of Applebee's Tequila Lime Chicken. Thanks for posting this one!