Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These aren't your ordinary creamed onions that you find cooked from frozen on the family Thanksgiving table (and, by the way, that no one really eats). This wonderful dish made with shallots and leeks is both delicious and elegant, and will have your guests begging for more.
- 1 bunch leek, white parts only sliced and rinsed well
- 3 red onions, sliced lengthwise
- 3 sweet onions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Saute red and sweet onions in 1 T. butter, stirring often, in a nonstick over low heat until softened, about 30 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, saute leeks in 1 T. butter until softened, about 30 minutes, then add to onions.
- Saute pearl onions and shallots in 1 T. butter until softened, about 15 minutes, then add to onion mixture.
- Saute garlic in 2 T. butter for about 30 seconds, then add heavy cream. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Combine onion and cream mixtures; pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Mix panko, parmesan, parsley, pepper and melted butter and sprinkle over onion mixture. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until brown.