Dont let the length of the recipe scare you, it is extremely simple to throw together and this is a dish my children love. It is also a great way to use up ALL of those zucchini that one plant seemed to have made this summer :)
- 8 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 14 ounces Italian stewed tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups croutons, slightly crushed
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Lop off the ends of each zucchini and slice in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the middle (pulp) with a spoon leaving 1/4 inch on the bottom and sides of the zucchini halves.
- Chop the pulp and reserve.
- Brown beef and pork.
- Saute onions and mushrooms until soft.
- Combine the two mixtures and set aside.
- Blend spinach, tomatoes, zucchini pulp, bread cubes, parmesan cheese, egg, garlic, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Add this to the meat, onion and mushroom mixture.
- Equaly divide between the zucchini halves.
- Top with mozzerella.
- Place in 2 large baking dishes with 1/4 cup of water each.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 20 min longer or until zucchini is tender and cheese is browned and bubbly.