Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another way to prepare swiss steak. I believe this recipe is from a flyer of Shop-Rite supermarket. We like this served with mashed potatoes, gravy and vegetable.
- 1 lb boneless beef bottom round swiss steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into rings
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried and crushed thyme
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cut meat into 4 serving size pieces.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper, along with the meat, in a ziplock bag; shake to coat meat.
- In a skillet, brown meat in oil; transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomatoes, onion, celery,carrots and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the meat and add all scraped, browned bits.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
I guess I was so satisfied with my dinner that I forgot to rate this the first time I made it. I am fixing it for our dinner again tonight. YUMMMY! We love this! Today I put it in my crockpot because I will be away from home and thought I would try it. I suspect that I will prefer it in the oven though, it was PERFECT! But ..... the meat I pulled out of the freezer was unmarked and when I pulled it out of the refrigerator this morning, I realized that it was a rib steak! That might make up for it being cooked in the crock pot!
This was it-- the Swiss Steak recipe I lost a year ago and have been looking for ever since. :) I'm so happy to have found it again! I cut my steak into bite sized pieces, and it was very thin, so I only had to bake it about 35 minutes and it was very tender. Served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, and green beans for a wonderful meal.
I think I've realized I'm not a fan of swiss steak. It always sounds so good, but then I have it and am let down, HOWEVER, hubby thought it was really really good. The ease in preparation was really easy. Thank you for sharing and Congrats on your win in the Football pool.