Another way to prepare swiss steak. I believe this recipe is from a flyer of Shop-Rite supermarket. We like this served with mashed potatoes, gravy and vegetable.
- 1 lb boneless beef bottom round swiss steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into rings
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried and crushed thyme
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cut meat into 4 serving size pieces.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper, along with the meat, in a ziplock bag; shake to coat meat.
- In a skillet, brown meat in oil; transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomatoes, onion, celery,carrots and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the meat and add all scraped, browned bits.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.