I made this up with two of my daughter's favorite foods in mind: french fries and pizza. She took one bite and said "These are good! They taste like pizza!" Exactly what I had in mind.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with oil.
- Grind fennel seed, oregano and basil into a powder using a spice mill or mortar and pestle.
- Wash, peel and slice potatoes into thin french fry shapes.
- Combine ground spices, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, sugar and oil in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place potatoes and seasoning paste in a large ziplock or plastic bag.
- Using your hands, move the potatoes around in the bag until they are evenly coated with the seasoning paste.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F.
- Using a spatula, turn potatoes over and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if using).
- Bake for 10-20 minutes more or until fries become golden and start to crisp (time may vary with size of fries).
- Serve with marinara sauce or ketchup, if desired.
These are so GOOD !! It really tasted like pizza. Naturally, my kids were in heaven ! The only adjustment I made was I decreased the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. VERY GOOD comfort food, or a snack for the game. Made for Holiday Tag. EXCELLENT RECIPE !
This is a great oven fry recipe. I probably had more potatoes for the spices, but they were still flavorful and tasty. I also decreased the oil a bit. I was leary adding soo much spice to these but in the end it turned out to be the right amount. I am not sure if these taste exactly like pizza but they are darn good anyway!!! Thanks!
This is a quick and easy recipe to get in the oven. It results in a very yummy and different tasting fry. As named, it does indeed taste similar to a pizza. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us Sue!