Recipe by Chez 4411 chef
Oven roasted whole fish with potatoes, salsa,tomatoes,black olives in sherry olive oil as originaly suggested in an online site for cod modified for the two of us who like the taste of salsa ,garlic ,olives and yellowtail
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Made it for PAC 2010. I do cook fish all the time and usually grill whole fish so this looked very interesting as I love all the ingredients. I did 2 fish as their were 4 1/2 (small child) of us, but she eats fish. All the fish I had was already prepared in the freezer as I fish a lot, so went to my local fish mart and had them prepare it. I get fish a lot from them so they were happy to prepare it all up. A few points to watch. If you cook the potatoes as long as you stated, they would of been MUSH in the dish, I cooked them 1/2 way and they were more than done. I did use the optional tomato. Since I made 2 dishes, I made one as the recipe states and 1 my way. I did use the salsa and sherry in yours, I used diced Italian tomatoes and white wine in mine. I was not fond of the sherry. My friends loved it, but it just wasn't a favorite of mine. You do need to season with pepper as well and I thought there was a few fresh herbs missing. So to mine, I added some fresh parsley and fresh thyme. The directions to those who haven't cooked a whole fish before are a bit vague and you may want to elaborate a bit more. I hate to add some extra oil to the pan and my fish only took 20 minutes on 425. But I realize that everyone's oven, fish and pans do differ. Regardless of that. The fish turned out very good, tender and moist and we definitely enjoyed it. thx for sharing, a nice dinner was enjoyed by all tonight. Kim
- 1 -2 lb whole yellowtail red snapper, gutted, butterflied, head &tail on
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, in1/2 '"slices
- 1 cup whole pitted black olives
- 1 tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled &sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 cup sherry wine (used Christian Bros.)
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Bring potatoes to boil and cook until tender (12 min.)drain.
- Make 3 evenspaced 3" long slits on each side of fish.
- Sprinkle fish inside with salt and lay butterfly style in steep sided baking dish.
- Surround fish with potatoes,olives,chunk tomato,garlic,oregano,top with salsa and olive oil/sherry mixture.
- Bake approx 30 minutes or til fish flakes.Do not overbake.