Recipe by Hausfrau
This is a great meal for special family occasions. It's also an easy clean-up, one pan dish.
Top Review by momaphet
This dish is really simple and delicous. I used granualted garlic and kosher salt in place of the using a little less salt than called for, I also reduced the amount of oil. The chicken juice gives amazing flavor to the veggies, and I was able to make a pan gravy from the brown bits after draining off almost all the fat. It was rich and dark and looked more like beef gravy. I put in almost a whole head of individual garlic cloves still their skins they added even more flavor squeezed into the dish. I will be making this again . Made for Recipes with our Photos Tag
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 4 medium white potatoes
- 6 whole fresh carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray, such as Mazola or Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thoroughly wash chicken in cold water, especially cavity, pat dry.
- Using kitchen shears, remove backbone and ribs to "butterfly" chicken.
- Gently separate, but do not remove, skin over chicken breast, legs and thighs.
- Wash and cut potatoes (skin on), carrots, and onion into coarse cubes.
- Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread vegetables in bottom of dish, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoons lemon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt with a whisk.
- Gently lift chicken skin and drizzle olive oil and lemon juice mixture under the skin.
- Pour any remaining oil mixture over skin.
- Tent dish with aluminum foil. Place in preheated oven for 40 minutes, remove foil, and roast for 30-45 minutes longer, until chicken juices run clear.