Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful flavorful easy side dish to serve to guests for a dinner party. You can use any amount of garlic desired, since my family is garlic-lovers I have even gone so far as to use a whole bulb (about 10-12 cloves). Make certain to use only firm plum tomatoes only for this, regular tomatoes will not work and will become watery. If you find that your tomatoes are very juicy, I would suggest to remove just a small amount of the pulp and seeds from the inside with a small spoon from the tomatoes before roasting, although it is really not necessary.
- 2 lbs firm ripe large plum tomatoes
- 10 -14 anchovy fillets, chopped (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, coarsely chopped (can use about 4-6 cloves sliced instead of chopped)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Set oven to 400�°F.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and then cut each half into three wedges, then arrange the tomatoes in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped anchovies, parsley, chopped or sliced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes (if using) salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the tomatoes uncovered until tender, wrinkled and starting to brown around the edges (this should take about 40-50 minutes).
- Serve with more olive oil on the side.
I'm completely stumped about how to review this ... I still don't know what I thought of it! It was very easy to put together, very flavorful, and the recipe was very easy to follow ... but in the end, the combination of flavors just didn't work for me. I rarely eat anchovies, so I may just not have been prepared for it. That's why I'm going with 4 stars -- an anchovy lover may adore this recipe. I thought I liked anchovies, but I rarely have them, so maybe I'm not the anchovy fan I thought I was. Anyway, that's not the fault of the recipe! So because the flavors were true, the texture was great, the recipe was clear and easy to follow, and the dish was easy to prepare -- 4 stars.