Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 hrs
Oven-roasted tomatoes have a deliciously concentrated flavour and a wonderfully chewy texture. Serve simply with feta cheese and crusty bread for a summer appetizer.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb good quality Greek feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 475°F
- Oil a shallow roasting tin with 2 tbsp of the oil.
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways and lay them cut-side up in the tin.
- Sprinkle over the thyme and some salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F and roast for a further 1½ hours until they have shrivelled to about half their original size and concentrated in flavour. Leave to cool.
- Arrange the tomatoes and the feta among four plates and drizzle over the remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle with a bit more sea salt and some black pepper to serve.