I have used this recipe for years and it never fails. I usually make it in the summer as we usually have a vegetable garden and always end up with too many tomatoes, I then make in batches,for the freezer. I use a lot of garlic in this recipe but thats because we love it and the garlic sweetens in the roasting process. I have strained the sauce at times to remove the seeds. Though most people don't mind tomato seeds.
- Preheat the oven 400°f.
- Slice tomatoes in half, set aside.
- Pour the olive oil onto a large baking sheet and spread it around the sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly the garlic, herbs, sugar, salt and pepper over the oil.
- Place the tomatoes cut side down onto the baking sheet.
- Roast for about 30-40 minutes, or until the skins start to lift from the tomatoes.
- Allow to cool.
- Remove the skins and put the sauce into a large bowl and break up the flesh with a fork.
- Reheat sauce if using immediately.