For those who like their sweet potatoes a little less sweet.
Make and share this Oven-Roasted Spicy-Sweet Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (I often use lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line a roasting pan large enough to contain your potato pieces.
- Mix butter, honey, lime juice, chile powder, cumin and cayenne together.
- Coat sweet potatoes with butter/honey/spice mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Empty into prepared roasting pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes; give potatoes a stir to redistribute and recoat with liquid.
- Bake 20 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender all the way through when pierced with the tip of a knife.
These had a lovely kick to them that snuck up on us (at first, I mostly tasted the lime juice and some slight sweetness from the honey, but then the spice came out). We love sweet potatoes in my house, and this was a nice spicy change of pace from the usual baked ones I make. I used chipotle chile powder and desert mesquite honey for this, and it was perfect. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5 Mexico
Chomp...chomp...chomp. Where are my manners...wonderful! Made for Gluten-Free Recipe Tag.
I cut like skinny french fries and baked a little less time. YUM! I did scale the recipe back. Thanks Evelyn! Made for the Epicurean Queens, ZWT 2009.