1/2 Photos of Oven-Roasted Pot Roast With Vegetables
My family loves pot roast. Though I usually use my dutch-oven I find it is too small to cook enough vegetables to feed my large family. So I came up with a way to use my roasting pan to keep it simple.The long cooking time left the roast fork tender, just be sure to cut against the grain of the meat and not with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef roast (I used bottom round)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered (I use cremini)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs rosemary (1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 sprigs thyme (2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 9 red potatoes, halved and quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped roughly 1 inch long
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Brown on all sides before transferring it to a large roasting pan.
- 2Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet, cook until softened and mushrooms are browned, scrapping up browned bits. Toss in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 15 – 30 seconds.
- 3Pour the tomato sauce and broth into the skillet, stir well, and allow bring to a boil. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- 4Add the Rosemary, Thyme, and Bay leaves to the roasting pan with the roast. Arrange the potatoes, carrots, and celery around the meat in the pan.
- 5Pour the contents of the skillet (liquid, onions, and mushrooms) over the roast and vegetables.
- 6Cover the roasting pan (use foil if your pan has no lid) and transfer into the oven. Cook until a fork easily slides into the meat, about 3 to 3 ½ hours. Remove sprigs and bay leaves before serving.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Roasted Pot Roast With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (650 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.7
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 1732.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 59.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: