Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from 30 Minute Meals, a tasty version of gorp!
Make and share this Oven Roasted Maple Gorp recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split (or 1 tsp. vanilla)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup hazelnuts, peeled (or pine nuts)
- 2 cups whole natural almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (craisins)
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup M&M's peanut chocolate candy
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Place the maple syrup on the stove with cinnamon and vanilla over medium low heat to incororate the flavors. Warm the syrup for 3 minutes, and remove. If you don't have the vanilla beans, substitute 1 teaspoons vanilla.
- Combine oats, hazelnuts(or pine nuts), almonds, raisins, craisins and seeds in a bowl. Toss with maple syrup and remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
- Spread the maple coated mixture out on a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. Remove the nuts from oven and transfer to another cold pan, tossing the mix to quick-cool it.
- Once cool, toss with m&ms and eat, or pack for a hike! Enjoy!
This makes a great treat for my kids not to mention myself! Really tasty and satisfies your hunger. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
I made this as is, except for not having hazelnuts to add. I found that I wouldn't bother adding the oats to it in the future, but switch them for a different type of nuts instead. I almost found it a bit too sweet and that may have been the syrup I used. Other than that, it was tasty.
An excellent and easy recipe. Following the first reviewer's lead, I let the mix in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. The result was a nicely roasty flavor imparted to nuts. I used 0.5 tsp of ground cinnamon in place of the stick and i used the recommended 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and all other ingredients as written (hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds etc). I made this for a hike I'm doing tomorrow but it's hard to keep out of this wonderful mix today. Thanks for sharing. Highly recommended.