Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Modified from the dallasnews.com -- Recipe by Tina Danze, published August 10, 2011. NOTE: Recently, I saw on America's Test Kitchen (or Cook's Country), to use frozen okra thawed and blotted dry in recipes, rather than trying to find decent fresh okra in grocery stores!
- 12 ounces small okra (small whole ~ frozen okra, thawed and patted dry)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon (zest of)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese (finely grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano cheese (additional garnish, finely grated)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss whole okra with oil, lemon juice, zest, 1 1/2 tablespoons grated cheese, salt and pepper. Place okra on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove okra from oven, and immediately top with additional grated cheese.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Makes four servings.
This oven-roasted okra was really delicious. We loved the lemon and parmesan combination. I couldn't believe it, but I could not find whole okra so I used cut okra instead. We really enjoyed this dish and I'll defintely make it again. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game, October, 2014.