Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple yet so delicious, this one of my family's favorite sweet potato dishes and I have made this many times for the holidays and always receive rave reviews! --- If you double the recipe bake in a large roasting pan or use two 13x9 baking dishes, when I am making these for company, I use a large foil pan and just throw the pan away after, saves cleaning :)
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into about 2-inch pieces (or 3-3 1/2 lbs yams, cut into about 2-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat all the potato cubes thoroughly dry using paper towel/s.
- Arrange the sweet potato cubes (if possible in a single layer) in a lightly-buttered 13 x 9-inch dish.
- In a small saucepan or the microwave stir together butter, honey and lemon juice until butter melts.
- Pour butter mixture over the sweet potatoes; toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and lots of black pepper.
- Bake uncovered until just fork-tender stirring and turning with a spatula or wooden spoon (about 40 minutes, might take shorter or longer time depending on the size of sweet potato pieces, try not overbake the sweet potatoes or they will be too soft).
This was a great recipe!! Even had the people that do not like sweet potatoes loving them!! I also cut the butter in half.
I used basswood honey, cut the butter back to 5tbsp, and added a sprinkle of cinnamon over the top. Cooked for 45 minutes, stirring 3 times. Everyone enjoyed them with our turkey breast dinner. I would definitely make them again.
Very good and very easy. The recipe was made for a potluck and was more than enough for 8 to 10 people. I do think that the butter can be reduced some and next time around may use 1/3 cup. I cooked the potatoes for 15 minutes, stirred and continued to cook for an additional 20 minutes. They were perfect.