Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I served this with pasta and it was our favorite part of dinner. The recipe is adapted from Paula Deen. The original recipe called for 1 cup of butter- you know that girl loves her butter! The garlic mellows since it is roasted so don't be afraid to use the whole bulb.
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- olive oil
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 29.58-44.37 ml minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, split horizontally
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut top off garlic head. Place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil; drizzle with olive oil. Fold edges together to seal. Bake 30 - 40 minutes; cool.
- Squeeze cooked garlic into a medium bowl. Garlic will be soft and sticky. Add butter, parsley salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Spread cut halves of bread evenly with garlic butter mixture. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat, with oven door partially opened, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until butter melts and bread is toasted. Cut into slices to serve.
Yummo! The roasted garlic really does make a difference, it's so much more mellowed and mild. I reduced the amount of butter to half a cup and even then I felt guilty about the fat content. I used a loaf of french bread and just sliced it diagonally then slathered the slices with the garlic/butter mix and wrapped it in foil then baked for 20 minutes or so at 180C. can't wait to try it with the sourdough.
Oh yum! I did make a change, I used 9-grain Artisan bread, and put the butter mix right on the slices. So goood! My DH loved it too. Thanks! Made for Australian Swap#19!