Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These will keep for 3 weeks in refrigerator. That is plenty of time to give a jar to friends or place a few on pizza, cheese sandwiches, or grilled chicken.
- 24 plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more
- olive oil, for storing in jars
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 with rack in middle of oven.
- Rinse the tomatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and arrange them on the sheet, cut side up, so they are nearly touching. Sprinkle salt over and 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Roast the tomatoes until they shink but still tender and juices are evaporated, about an hour.
- Cool completely for an hour.
- Place cooled tomatoes in large bowl and toss with the basil.
- Transfer to a large 2 quart glass jar or 2-1 quart jars. Pour enough oil to completely cover the tomatoes. Secure lid and refrigerate up to 3 weeks.