1/1 Photo of Oven-Roasted Eggplant and Butternut Squash Curry
1 hr 35 mins
Chef #573036's Note:
Adapted from Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, I have reduced the amount of oil and halved the recipe. This was a wonderful comforting dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 onions, diced
- 1 1/2 tomatoes, in 1 1/2 inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 green onions, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Wrap the eggplant and the butternut squash individually in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking tray and bake them for 1 1/2 hours or until they are very soft. The eggplants will become mushy and deflated.
- 3While the eggplant and butternut squah are cooking, heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for about 30 seconds. Stir in onions and saute until brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and stir in tomatoes. Add turmeric, fenugreek, coriander, black pepper, jalapeño pepper and salt. Cook this masala for 10 minutes. If the eggplant and squash are still cooking, remove the masala from the heat and set aside.
- 5Remove eggplant and squash from the oven and cool for 5 to 10 minutes so you can unwrap the aluminum foil.
- 6Using a pairing knife or potato peeler, peel the squash and discard the skin. Cut the squash in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the squash. Cut in 1/2 inch cubes and place in mixing bowl.
- 7Using your hands, peel the skin from the eggplant. Discard the skins. Add the eggplants to the mixing bowl.
- 8Stir the eggplant and squash mixture into the masala. Turn the heat on to medium and cook, covered for 10 minutes. Just before serving, add the green onions and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 9Serve as main dish with Chappatis or as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Roasted Eggplant and Butternut Squash Curry
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1473.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 4.9 g